Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Job search...

Looking for a teaching job has been a struggle.  The original struggle was deciding that I WANTED a teaching job again... the new struggle has been finding jobs to apply for. Not all schools have music anymore.  The teachers who have the good jobs hang onto them.  I tried last year, but was limited to my area, and there was next to nothing here.  The people who probably got the 2 or 3 jobs advertised last year within an hour radius, probably knew someone in the school district.  This year, with an expanded search parameter, and a little more drive, I have a little more hope that something could happen.  Especially since today, I actually got a call for an interview.

And I am TERRIFIED.  I am a nervous interview anyway...but this is heavy.  A teaching job would really save us right now.  We need the steady income.  We need the insurance.  I need to not work in a crappy restaurant in a crappy town.  I need to be doing something important.  One might say that I am desperate.  I definitely feel a little desperate.

My 35 year-old, practical self sometimes wishes that I never left my teaching job 8 years ago.  My 35 year-old self also knows that my life would be way different if that happened.  I wouldn't have moved back to Chicago and worked at Old Town and played my open mic Wednesdays and met all of these people who will be my friends forever.  I wouldn't have worked at Barcelona and met my crazy Mexican family and expanded my understanding of food and the world.  I probably wouldn't have married my husband... my beautiful, crazy husband... our relationship needed a lot of time to mature and attention that, if I had had a regular job, it would not have gotten.. it would probably not have survived.

So I have to live without regret.  I have to believe that the choices I made have worked out for the best.  Because they HAVE.  And now, going back to teaching will give me the things I want next which are babies and security and work with purpose.  My 27 year-old self did not know it would be this hard to find a job if or when she decided to go back....  but she was an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment